Pages

Friday, April 9, 2021

Shiver

 Shiver

Allie Reynolds



Reviewed by Helen


This one kept me guessing right to the end, from the start it was gripping, I could sense the danger and the emotions of these five friends who had come together ten years after one of their friends went missing in the French Alps, invited for a reunion by who? Back to where everything went wrong, friendships destroyed, lives lost and secrets kept, is it time these secrets were uncovered?

Milla Anderson gets an invite back to the resort Le Rocher by her once friend Curtis, she was at her peak as a snowboarder the last time she was there but the last time she was there one of her friends, Curtis’s sister Saskia went missing, why the reunion now what is the point but Milla is determined to go, she holds secrets that have churned in her gut for years, but how will this weekend turn out? Once she was a snowboarder determined to win at all costs, is she still so determined these days?

Milla, Dale, Heather, Brent are there as well as Curtis, each had a lot to do with Saskia in different ways and on arrival with an icebreaker game that turns dangerous and has each of them going back to the past and the things they had done the story rolls on easily going back ten years earlier as we learn about each of the friends, all being snowboarders except Heather we learn what people will do to win and what went on in their lives.

This is such a gripping, riveting story that had my heart thumping as I turned the pages, Allie Reynolds writes with emotion as she brings these characters to life on the pages, pulled me into the story I didn’t know who to trust and who not to and there were times I was yelling at the characters in the past and now. This is a fabulous debut and one that I highly recommend, the ending stunned me, I thoroughly enjoyed it from page one and I honestly was on the edge of my seat most of the time. I do look forward to more stories form this new author.

4 stars

Published January 27th 2021 Hachette AUS