Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2022

Conviction

 Conviction

Frank Chalmers




Reviewed by Helen


This is a great debut, it did take me a bit to get into and find my way around the characters, but once I did it was so hard to put down, Detective Ray Windsor from Brisbane is punished and sent out west to the town of Royalton, it is 1976 and corruption runs riot, will Ray last in this town, will he feel at home here?

Ray grew up in a country town that grew cane he didn’t have the easiest of lives as a child but he is a good honest police officer and his punishment for being so is to arrive in this drought stricken town, that holds links to his past but is run by police chief Kennedy and their first meeting sparks instant dislike.

Lucky for Ray he meets police officer Arshag and they instantly click, when Ray is given his first case to investigate, the rape and murder of two young immigrant girls he hits brick walls at every corner but he and Arshag don’t give up and soon uncover a horrid cover up and complacency by the police. They push buttons and do their best to uncover the corruption that runs deep in this town and that is not easy with his life being threatened.

This is a well written story with twists and turns, I had my suspicions but was not convinced till the very end, fabulous characters good and bad, some very bad, Ray is such a great character I though highly of him and Arshag. It is compelling and gripping reading, and one that I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a good crime story.

My thanks to Allen & Unwin for my copy to read and review.

5 stars
    July 5, 2022 by Allen & Unwin AU