Pages

Friday, June 24, 2022

Wake

 Wake

Shelley Burr



Reviewed by Helen


This is an excellent debut, filled with twists and turns that will keep you turning the pages, strong characters and a mystery that had my mind thinking and jumping from one thought to another and a setting that added to the mystery, come along for the ride I am sure you will love it.

It is nineteen years since nine year old Evelyn McCreery vanished without a trace from her bedroom that she shared with her twin sister Mina, many have tried to solve the case and there have been so many accusations about who did it and is she still alive or dead. Mina is still living on the vast property that has been in the family for many years but she is a bit of a recluse and does not go out much she prefers her own company and only really has one friend Alanna.

Lane Holland is a private investigator and has had some success with cold cases of missing young girls, there is a big reward for the discovery of what happened to Evelyn and Lane decides that he wants to reinvestigate the case, is it just the reward he is after or is there more to his wanting the answers, that is very personal.

It takes a bit for Lane to win Mina’s trust, but he does and soon Lane is uncovering clues that will blow the original investigation out of the water, but there is a lot more to this case for Lane I think, but will the truth change lives? And the ending was riveting as the truth unfolded.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it, I am really looking forward to more from this author I am sure she is going become a must read author for me and for many readers.

My thanks to Hachette AU for my copy to read and review.

4 stars
Published April 27th 2022 by Hachette Austrralia