Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

The Way it is Now

 The Way it is Now

Garry Disher



Reviewed by Helen


This was my first Garry Disher book, it won’t be my last, can I say wow what a fabulous story, a compelling mystery that had my mind going in all directions trying to sort things out, and we meet Charlie Deravin a detective with the Victorian police force currently on suspension and living back in his family home on the coast, this brings back many memories for Charlie mainly the fact that his mother went missing twenty years before and has never been found, the day as a young constable he was out searching for a missing young boy, Charlie’s life has never been easy and care-free and things now are just going to get worse.

Charlie has never given up investigating his mother’s disappearance knowing full well that his father also a cop has always been the main suspect in her disappearance in which his brother Liam is sure of the fact, his father is re-married now and Charlie is close to him and sure of his innocence, but things suddenly change and very quickly when skeletal remains are found on a property very close to where his mother was living. Two bodies that of an adult and a young child, are they his mother and the child he was searching that day twenty years ago how are they connected?

This was a page turner for me there is a lot going on and lots of people we get to know who maybe are connected with both deaths or maybe not and Charlie is more than determined to investigate even while on suspension and he does tend to tread on a few toes along the way people are after him as well, which adds to the story. There are many twists and turns that kept me engrossed in this story and Garry Disher has built a fabulous case that had to be unraveled in a way that kept me and I am sure any reader of a good mystery engaged, the characters come to life on the pages and are real, this is one that I would highly recommend, it is a fabulous read, I must say although I had all the answers I needed at the end it was a little abrupt I would have loved another page or two.

My thanks to Text Publishing and Netgalley for my copy to read and review

5 stars
Published November 2nd 2021 by Text Publishing